When comparing this course to those offered by others, please note that all fees for shooting range, firearm use, ammunition, and safety equipment use are included. Courses offered by others frequently include additional charges, especially for the range and ammunition. Also, for your safety and confidence, all skills will be practiced in a simulation environment prior to practice at a shooting range.
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is a two-part course consisting of an e-learning portion (Phase I – completed online-in your own timeframe) and a hands-on practical portion (Phase II) conducted at a range under the guidance and supervision of an NRA-Certified Instructor. The course is intended for all adults regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation.
During the instructor-led-training portion of the course (Phase II), an NRA Certified Instructor will validate comprehension and application of gun safety rules; range protocol; proper handling; loading and unloading procedures; application of pistol shooting fundamentals; stable shooting positions; live fire; and a final shooting qualification.
Length of Course:
5 Hours – Longer if needed to achieve learning objectives.
Specific Lessons Covered:
- Firearm Safety – NRA Rules for Safe Firearm Handling.
- Shooting Range – Rules, commands, procedures, and etiquette.
- Loading, Cocking, Decocking, Unloading – Single action revolver, double action revolver, and semi-automatic pistol. (Real Firearms, simulation ammunition)
- Cleaning a Firearm – Disassembly, cleaning, re-assembly, function check. (Real firearm)
- Shooting positions – Benchrest and Isosceles
- Fundamentals – Eye Dominance, Grip, aiming, breath control, hold control, trigger control, and follow through. (Real Firearms, simulation ammunition, basics and target practice, range simulation)
- Qualification – Demonstrate proficiency with the above objectives and shoot the course qualification. (Real Firearms, live ammunition, shooting range)
- This is an NRA Course and will result in an NRA Certificate.
- You are purchasing the instructor led portion of the course (Phase II). Phase I is a prerequisite and must be taken online. Phase I requires a $60 fee paid directly to the NRA. The $60 fee is not included in the cost for Phase II being offered here. Completion of the online portion (Phase I) typically takes 7+ hours, but it can be completed at your own pace. To take Phase I and/or get more details, go to: https://basicpistol.nra.org/
- Phase II is a two part program. The first part is a hands on instruction portion to reinforce and evaluate the successful completion of the learning objectives from Phase I. This will be completely hands on instruction using both real and simulation firearms to build comfort and competency prior to handling live firearms (No Live Ammunition). The second portion will be instruction, application, and qualification at a shooting range. The range fees are included in the cost for this class. For the shooting range, appropriate firearms, ammunition, hearing protection, and eye protection will be provided at no cost. You are also welcome to use your own firearm(s), ammunition, and safety equipment.
- Classroom/Simulation portion can be held at our office or your home. (Additional fee if outside Dallas, Collin, or Rockwall counties)
- Shooting range will vary depending on course location.
- Class can easily be completed in one day or split into two days.